40% off mid-year online course tuition!
How it Works
- Uses Adobe Connect to conduct "live" online courses with a real instructor and students (video/audio). Adobe Connect account is provided by Kolbe Academy.
- Uses Schoology as a Learning Management System (LMS) for assignments, assessments, and gradebooks. Schoology account is provided by Kolbe Academy.
- Courses meet using Adobe Connect 1-2x/week, depending on the subject, with additional interaction throughout the week with the Instructor using Schoology.
- Class time consists of some lecture and much discussion for Theology, Literature, and History. Math and Science courses consists of lecture and problem working. Language classes are grammar instruction heavy, but also include oral recitation and conversation. Instructors follow Kolbe Academy course plans with some flexibility given to the instructor for modifications.
- Assignments are given by the instructor, typically from the Kolbe Academy course plan.
- All communication with the instructor is done via email. Phone communication is not an option except in an extreme circumstances.
- Instructor will do all grading for the courses.
- Exams will be administered and graded by the instructor either online or written at home. Parents are expected to proctor all exams.
- Final grade for the course will be assigned by the instructor.
- Students will earn Online Kolbe Core (OK) or Online Kolbe Honors (OH) credit for their transcript.
- Class sizes are limited to about 20.
- Students will be required to purchase text books. All books are available at https://books.kolbe.org. It is highly recommended that you use Kolbe's bookstore to make sure the correct edition is purchased.
- Home School Course Plans are not provided to the parent but parts may be disseminated to the student by the instructor.
- The Kolbe Academy Study Guides should not be purchased. Modified Study Guides will be provided by instructor in an online format.
- All Liberal Arts (Theo, Lit, History and English) courses are offered at the Kolbe Core (OK) level.
- All Liberal Arts courses are also offered at the Kolbe Honors (OH) level but meet at the same time as the Kolbe Core (OK) levels.
- Students taking courses for Honors (OH) must enroll in Honors Seminar for credit.
- Of Kolbe's English courses, only English 12 is available for Kolbe Honors (OH) credit.
- Most math and science courses will be offered at both the Kolbe Core (OK) and the Honors(OH) levels as separate sections meeting at different times.
- Foreign Language courses are currently only available at the Kolbe Core (OK) level except for Latin 4, which is AP Latin.
- Kolbe also offers courses at the AP level including AP Biology, AP Calculus AB, AP Physics 1, AP Latin, AP Chemistry, and AP Statistics.
Online Course Schedule
- All live classes are scheduled between Monday-Thursday, so Fridays are always free for co-ops or other family functions.
- Honors seminars are held on Mondays for students seeking Honors in Theology, Literature, or History courses.
- Theology, Literature, and History courses meet 1 time per week for 1 hour, 20 minutes.
- Lower level Math, Science, and Language courses meet 2 times per week for 1 hour, 5 minutes each.
- Upper level Math, Science, and Language courses meet 2 times per week for 1 hour, 20 minutes each.
- School begins the week of August 23rd with Orientation week. Attendance is required at orientation week classes. Each class will meet only once during orientation week even if the class typically meets twice per week. Plan on attending the second instance of your class during Orientation Week. For example, an Algebra 1 class that meets at 9:00 AM on Mon/Wed will meet on Wednesday only at 9:00 AM during orientation week.
- Several Parent Orientation sessions will be held during orientation week. Attendance by one parent is required at one parent orientation session. See the calendar for days and times.
- New students are required to attend one tech check held the week prior to orientation week to test out their headset and computer compatibility with Adobe Connect. See the calendar for the tech check schedule.
- The 2016-17 calendar is available here.
- Each family must fill out an application to take online courses with Kolbe Academy. Returning families may apply for the new school year about 2 weeks earlier than new families.
- The application for enrollment will help our admission staff determine your child and family's readiness for online learning. Once approved, you will be sent the enrollment form to choose you child's online or home school classes.