Software, Hardware, Bandwidth Needed
- Software: Kolbe Academy provides access to Schoology, Adobe Connect, and Microsoft 365 to all students enrolling in online courses. Students must obtain access to Microsoft Word and Powerpoint. Microsoft Office can be downloaded for free once Kolbe sets up a student's Microsoft 365 account.
- System Requirements: You must have the necessary system requirements for Adobe Connect 9 and Schoology in order to participate in these courses.
- Internet Download Speed: Your internet download speed should be at least 1mbps per concurrent class. This link will test your system for Adobe Connect for one class. If you have more than one student enrolled in online courses at a time, be sure to multiply by the number of students you have.
- Dedicated Computer: While tablets can be used with an Adobe Connect app, a computer or laptop is necessary to optimize class participation and overall experience.
- Headset: A headset with microphone and earphones for the student's computer is required. (Please note, the built-in microphone on a computer may not be used due to potential feedback problems)
- Webcam: A webcam is required for periodic use.
- Scanner or Digital Camera: A scanner or digital camera \that can upload clear images to a computer)
- Printer: A printer is required for completing homework as assigned by each instructor.
Other Technical Requirements
- Internet Use During Class: To minimize audio issues and maximize internet bandwidth for the duration of the student's live online class, other uses of the internet should be minimized during the student's live classes. This means only running Adobe Connect during live sessions, no surfing on other internet sites or checking email during class, and other members of the family minimizing their internet use during class. This will be highly dependent on the quality and speed of the internet you have in your house.
- Mic Checks: Students who do not have back-to-back classes are required to login to their Online Class 10 minutes before class begins for a microphone check. Once checked in, students should not log out of class, but they do not need to be active in the classroom until the actual class begins. Students who have back-to-back classes should login at least 5 minutes early if possible. (There are 10 minutes between classes).
- Orientation: The student should attend class orientation via Adobe Connect to insure that the proper technological processes needed to complete the online course are learned.
- Tech Check Week: New students are required to come to the tech support room to perform a tech check the week before orientation. See calendar for days and times the tech support room is open.