Is your family ready for a summer full of adventure? Whether you are planning a road trip or staying home to relax, reading allows your children to explore new and exciting places all summer long!
As your family settles into summer routines, consider how you might intentionally incorporate reading into your days. Maybe you will schedule in quiet time reading after a morning spent in the sun. Perhaps snack time can become an opportunity to share a family read-aloud. If you plan to hit the road this summer, stock up on a few audio-books to take along on your adventure!
Looking for a way to encourage your kids to keep reading all summer long? Kolbe Academy's NEW Summer Reading Catalog includes hundreds of hand-picked titles for children of all ages! Click here to learn more and download your FREE copy! Want to take your summer reading a step further? Be sure to sign your child up for our Summer Reading Challenge! This free, offline summer event allows children to work at their own pace and track their progress with the opportunity to earn prizes!
If you are hoping to engage your children in a more structured reading experience, consider signing them up for one of our Summer Reading Book Clubs! These 4-week clubs offer live, online discussions led by our dedicated Kolbe teachers.
Another way to keep your children engaged in the joy of summer reading is to create relaxing spaces and exciting opportunities to enjoy a great book. Here are a few ideas to spark your creativity!
1) Encourage your children to read aloud to younger siblings or the family pet! This will help build fluency and confidence, especially in more reluctant readers.
2) Keep boxes around the house (especially in the cozy corners) with a variety of books from the library, adding in new books from time to time.
3) Plan a picnic and encourage everyone to bring a book to enjoy in the shade after lunch.
4) Build a fort outside for readers to relax in (blankets and lawn chairs make for dreamy outdoor reading spaces).
5) Serve up smoothies or lemonade before encouraging your children to find a peaceful spot to sip, read, and relax.
6) Set up the tent for an evening of flashlight reading.
7) Select a read-aloud to share around a bonfire.
However you choose to set the scene for joyful summer reading, have fun with it! The summer is only just beginning- adventure awaits!
Did you enjoy this blog article? Read more from Kolbe Academy at https://www.kolbe.org/blog