The Academic Advisor will be responsible for providing support and guidance for enrolled Kolbe families who are home schooling their children. As the primary contact for their assigned families, the Academic Advisor plays an essential role in fulfilling Kolbe Academy’s mission to serve those families who choose to embrace their role as the primary educator of their children. This individual will work closely with families to develop academic plans that meet the individual needs and goals of each child and will provide ongoing support and guidance throughout the home schooling process.
This position is responsible for most aspects of assisting Kolbe Academy families and students, including, but not limited to:
- Provide prospective and current parents information about Kolbe Academy’s programs, including course offerings, enrollment options, and requirements by phone, email, chat, and virtual presentations
- Partner with parents to develop academic plans for their students, taking into account the individual needs and goals of each student and family
- Provide ongoing support and guidance to enrolled families, including answering questions, providing resources, and offering advice regarding curriculum, educational philosophy, instructional techniques, college preparation, and other related topics
- Review student course registrations to ensure that the student meets all course prerequisites and that courses meet Kolbe Academy’s graduation requirements and academic standards
- Proactively communicate with families and students throughout the year to ensure they are receiving the needed support in their enrolled programs
- Monitor the progress of students and provide feedback to families on their academic performance and graduation progress
- Support students throughout the college application process, including assistance with applications, secondary school reports, and letters of recommendation
- Collaborate with other members of the Academic Services team to provide support and resources for Kolbe Academy families
- Prepare grade records, transcripts and diplomas to be provided to families and to requesting schools
- Serve as “teacher of record” for courses taken through Kolbe Academy’s traditional homeschool and self-paced programs
- Must be a practicing Catholic willing to take an Oath of Fidelity to the Magisterium and to make a Profession of Faith.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field
- Must be able to work consistent weekly schedule covering at least some portion of the hours of 7 AM to 4 PM Pacific time.
- Some travel may be required
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and pleasant phone demeanor
- Ability to work independently and managing multiple tasks simultaneously
- Ability to work on multiple technology platforms
- More advanced computer skills a definite plus
- Bi-lingual English and Spanish highly desired but not required
- Very desirable is either experience with home schooling or having been home-schooled
- Ability to provide specialized instruction or assist in developing curriculum in a specific subject area is desired
- Must be able to lift and move objects weighing up to 50 pounds on an occasional basis
- Must be able to sit or stand for extended periods of time
Full-time or part-time hourly, wage DOE.
Full-time position includes medical and dental.
Position start depends on availability of candidate. Interested candidatesshould submit a cover letter and resume or curriculum vitae, including relevantacademic, professional and personal references to via our online application.In addition to your educational background and any homeschooling/teaching experienceyou possess, please include a list of the subjects in which you are capable ofproviding specialized instruction and/or working on curriculum development.
Kolbe Academy is a private, Catholic home school program offering aclassically-based education based on Ignatian principles and the principle ofsubsidiarity. Kolbe has been educating and forming young minds and souls since1980.