AMDG. Professor and translator Dr. Matthew Minerd joins Bonnie, Steven, Jordan, and Everett in this episode about making connections across rites, languages, and disciplines. Starting with a discussion of various Eastern rites of Catholicism, the group explores the blend of traditions throughout the Church, the art of finessing words from one language to another in translation, and the endeavor of teachers to stir up a love of learning in their students.
Dr. Minerd’s works available from Ascension Press
- Made by God, Made for God: Catholic Morality Explained
- translation of Introduction to the Devout Life by St. Francis de Sales, which is featured in season one of the Catholic Classics podcast
- translation of The Confessions of St. Augustine, subject of Catholic Classics season two
Other relevant links:
- Dr. Minerd’s wife Dr. Courtney Minerd was a key contributor to a Facebook Friday event focused on mental health hosted by Kolbe Academy’s Elizabeth Hoxie.
- Jordan refers to a translation project he’s been working on. Learn more about that in Kolbecast episode 135 Hidden Holiness Made Known.
- Check out this episode of Catholic Stuff You Should Know for more information about Ruthenian Catholicism.
The Kolbecast is available on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, and most podcast apps. By leaving a rating and review in your podcast app of choice, you can help the Kolbecast reach more listeners. The Kolbecast is also on Kolbe's YouTube channel (audio only with subtitles). Using the filters on our website, you can sort through the episodes to find just what you're looking for. However you listen, spread the word about the Kolbecast!
Have questions or suggestions for future episodes? We'd love to hear from you! Send your thoughts to firstname.lastname@example.org and be a part of the Kolbecast odyssey.