AMDG. University of Dallas president Dr. Jonathan Sanford joins Bonnie, Steven, and Chief Academic Officer Megan Lengyel in this episode to discuss how students flourish at UD, particularly when they have a Kolbe foundation. Dr. Sanford describes how the school is a thoroughly Catholic university with a bigger set of offerings than most and how multiple charisms present on campus help preserve and further UD's Catholic identity. He also shares insights on scholarships and standardized test strategies; distinguishes the humanities from the broader liberal arts; and highlights preparation for med school, law school, and market-relevant business opportunities. With a kind of fatherly care, Dr. Sanford illustrates how UD serves the idea that the best education for the best student is the best education for every student.
Links to topics of discussion:
- Use this link to sign up for Kolbe’s special Odyssey Days II.
- Mrs. Lengyel references this article in Crisis magazine that mentions The University of Dallas.
- Sr. Josephine Garrett, CSFN, tells Jackie & Bobby Angel about her experience – and conversion – at UD. Bobby Angel is a guest on Kolbecast episode 146 Stepping into the Arena.
Relevant Kolbecast episodes
- 158 The Gift of a Mind, the commencement speeches (including Dr. Sanford’s) at Kolbe Academy’s 2023 commencement ceremony
- 9 Interview with Kolbe Academy and UD alumna Monnica Prudlo Bremer (quoted in the article about Odyssey Days)
- 18 Homer and The Hunger Games with Kolbe Academy alumnus Charlie Mihaliak, who went on to study at UD
- 120 Substance Matters with Classic Learning Test (CLT) founder Jeremy Tate
- 127 Forging a Path with CLT’s Kimberly Farley
- 143 Partners in a Liberal Arts Renewal with CLT’s Soren Schwab
- 163 Postcards from France recounting the trip to France that Megan references
Kolbecast episodes cover a range of topics relating to school at home, the life of faith, and Catholic education. Using the filters on our website, you can sort the episodes to find just what you're looking for. If you listen to the Kolbecast via a podcast app/player, we'd be so grateful to you for leaving a rating and review. That helps us reach more listeners. However you listen, please spread the word about the Kolbecast!
Have questions or suggestions for future episodes? We'd love to hear from you! Send your thoughts to firstname.lastname@example.org and be a part of the Kolbecast odyssey.