AMDG. Every Kolbe student gets a rigorous experience, so how can high school parents best decide between core and honors courses? That’s the topic of the day with Everett Buyarski, Megan Lengyel, and Tony Guzzaldo. The group describes qualitative and quantitative differences between the various course offerings (spoiler alert: there are a lot more of the former than the latter), highlights how simply giving students more to read doesn’t automatically increase academic rigor, and gives practical recommendations on how to challenge students without overburdening them. Also listen in for details on student awards, National Honors Society eligibility requirements, and dual enrollment considerations.
Mrs. Lengyel describes the awards established to recognize student achievement in their courses of study at Kolbe Academy. Detailed information about the awards is available here.
Relevant Kolbecast episodes:
- 76 Study Buddies with members of Kolbe’s National Honor Society chapter
- 99 Gifted, Graced, and Formed
- 109 A Lifetime Venture with Dr. George Harne, which features a bit about Kolbe’s dual enrollment partnership with The University of St. Thomas in Houston, Texas
- 120 Substance Matters with Jeremy Tate, founder of the Classic Learning Test, with some discussion about AP and College Board
- 127 Forging a Path with CLT’s Kimberly Farley, who offers some more food for thought about dual enrollment
Enrollment for the 2023-24 school year is now open! Here’s where to start.
Kolbe Academy webinars which may be of interest or assistance to families considering enrolling:
Experience Kolbe’s live online classes by registering for an upcoming Shadow Week.
Kolbecast episodes cover a range of topics relating to school at home, the life of faith, and Catholic education. Using the filters on our website, you can sort the episodes to find just what you're looking for. If you listen to the Kolbecast via a podcast app/player, we'd be so grateful to you for leaving a rating and review. That helps us reach more listeners. However you listen, please spread the word about the Kolbecast!
What questions do you have about homeschooling, the life of faith, or the intersection of the two? Send your questions to email@example.com and stay tuned for answers. You may hear them answered in an upcoming Kolbecast episode!